Why do we need to exercise? Most of us are lazy when it comes to working out, unless you are fitness crazy! The obvious reason why most of us exercise is to get into shape so that we look better, feel better and become more attractive to the opposite sex, don't we?;). But exercise has its other benefits! Let's have a look at them:
1. Strengthens your body. When you exercise your body strength increases. Your muscles become more strong and flexible and are capable of handling more stress, which in turn allows you to handle day to day activities more efficiently. Your bones become stronger and healthier and become less susceptible to fractures and other bone related diseases.
2. Strengthens your heart and cardiovascular system. When you exercise the blood flow in your body increases which means your heart has to work harder. This increases the strength of your heart and you are prone to cardiovascular diseases like myocardial infarction or commonly known as heart attack. It also reduces the chances of you suffering from transient ischemic attack or stroke, angina, and other heart related conditions.
Increase in blood flow means your blood also clears up the little droplets of cholesterol that gets attached to the blood vessels which is important because if cholesterol is allows to build up in blood vessels then it will lead to narrowing the blood vessels which may lead to angina and heart attack.
Increase in blood flow also increases the oxygen supply to the brain and other parts of your body. So your cells are getting more oxygen which is needed for optimum functioning of your cells. So you will feel more energetic and fresh.
3. Elevates your mood and increases your confidence. When you exercise your body releases different chemical substances. One of them is endorphin. Endorphin is a natural analgesic (pain killer) which also makes you feel good about yourself.
4. Improves your concentration and memory. When you exercise you not only shape your body but your brain as well. Regular exercise helps you to improve your concentration power and also improves your memory. It also reduces the onset of memory loss that comes with old age.
5. Prevent diseases like osteoporosis, Type 2 diabetes mellitus, and high blood pressure and as already mentioned cardiovascular diseases like heart attack, stroke.
It doesn't take much too exercise. Just simple using the stairs instead of the lift is a good enough exercise. Moderate exercise for 20 minutes a day is sufficient for most of us to lead a healthy and productive lifestyle. So please everyone try and exercise because it’s definitely worth it.